Indian Food Recipes
Just like every place has its own famous food, Poha is a popular breakfast dish in the western states of India. It is known as “Pohay” in Maharashtra and “Poha” in Gujarat. In modern times, Poha is enjoyed throughout India because it is nutritious and delicious. In this article, I will tell you about the Poha recipe in Hindi. Making Poha is very easy, and you can prepare it in just five to ten minutes. You can also add various vegetables to make it a healthier breakfast option.
Poha Recipe in Hindi
Ingredients for Poha:
To make Poha, you will need the following ingredients. You can also add vegetables of your choice.
Poha – 1 cup
Oil – 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida (Hing) – a pinch
Mustard seeds (Rai) – 1 small teaspoon
Onions, finely chopped – half a cup
Curry leaves – 8 to 10
Whole red chili – 3
Potatoes, finely chopped – half a cup
Turmeric powder – half a small teaspoon
Salt – as per taste
Finely chopped green chili – 1 teaspoon
Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
Coriander leaves – 1 teaspoon
Lemon zest – for garnishing
Poha Recipe in Hindi – Method of Preparation:
First, rinse the Poha in a sieve and wash it lightly. Be careful not to soak the Poha in water for too long. Remove any excess water.
Heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add asafoetida and mustard seeds. After 30 seconds, add curry leaves, onions, and whole red chili. Sauté the spices well.
When the spices start releasing oil, add the chopped potatoes and turmeric powder.
Fry the potatoes on low heat.
Now, increase the heat and add salt and Poha to the pan. Stir everything together so that the spices mix well.
Turn off the heat and add green chili, lemon juice, and half of the coriander leaves. Mix well.
Your healthy and delicious Poha is ready. Transfer it to a bowl and garnish with a little finely chopped coriander leaves and lemon zest.
Q1: What is Poha made of?
Ans: Poha is made from flattened rice, which is processed rice. The rice is cleaned in the factory, and the husk is removed using machines. The flattened rice takes the shape due to the husk, and that’s how Poha gets its texture.
Ingredients required for making Appe (serves 2-4 people, preparation time: 15-30 minutes):
- Rice – 1 cup (soaked)
- Urad dal – 1/2 cup (soaked)
- Tomato – 1 (finely chopped)
- Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- Green chili – 2-3 (finely chopped)
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 5-7 (finely chopped)
- Oil for tempering
- Salt to taste
- Grind the soaked urad dal and rice in a mixer to make a fine paste.
- Transfer the paste to a bowl and add chopped tomatoes, onions, green chilies, and salt. Mix well.
- Place an Appe Stand on low heat. Apply a little oil to each of the hollows in the Appe Stand. (You can buy an Appe Stand from the market if you don’t have one.)
- Now, pour the prepared paste into each hollow of the stand, one by one. Cover it and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the cover, flip all the appes, cover again, and cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side. Then turn off the heat.
- In a pan, heat a little oil on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds.
- As the mustard seeds start spluttering, add curry leaves and roast them.
- Once the tempering is ready, pour it over the appes.
- Your hot and delicious appes are ready! Serve them with coconut chutney.
How did you like this appe recipe? Let us know in the comments. Making appes is quite easy, so you won’t face any difficulty. For more such tasty recipes in Hindi, visit our website daily.
Dhokla is not only delicious but also a healthy snack. While most people make dhokla using an idli maker or steamer, not everyone has those appliances. However, everyone has a cooker. In this article, we will provide you with an easy and simple recipe to make dhokla in a cooker. Let’s see the easy method of making dhokla.
Ingredients for Dhokla: (Note: The following measurements are for 2-4 servings.)
- Besan (Gram flour) – 1 cup
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Yogurt – 2 tablespoons
- Green chili and ginger paste – 1 tablespoon
- Eno fruit salt – 1 small teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Oil – 1 small teaspoon
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Asafoetida (hing) – a pinch
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 small teaspoon
- Green chili – 4, finely chopped
- Chopped coriander leaves – 2 tablespoons
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1 small teaspoon
Instructions to Make Dhokla:
- In a bowl, sieve the besan (gram flour). Gradually add water and mix the besan to form a batter of medium consistency, neither too thin nor too thick. Stir continuously while adding water to avoid lumps.
- Add lemon juice, salt, and yogurt to the batter. Mix well. Cover the batter and let it rest for 1-2 hours to ferment. After fermentation, add green chili and ginger paste and mix again.
- Grease the vessel in which you want to steam the dhokla with oil. Place 2-3 cups of water in the cooker and heat it on high flame.
- Add eno fruit salt to the batter and mix it for a minute. You will see the batter becomes frothy.
- Pour the batter into the greased vessel and place it in the cooker. Close the cooker lid without using the whistle.
- Steam the dhokla on medium heat for 20-25 minutes. After the pressure subsides, open the cooker lid and check the dhokla by inserting a knife. If the knife comes out clean, it means the dhokla is cooked. If the batter sticks to the knife, steam for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the dhokla from the cooker and let it cool for some time. Then, cut it into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a tempering pan. Add asafoetida, mustard seeds, green chili, and curry leaves. Once the mustard seeds crackle, add water and sugar to the pan and bring it to a boil.
- Pour this tempering over the dhokla pieces. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Your dhokla is ready to be served.
Enjoy the delicious and healthy dhokla with your family and friends!
Kadai Paneer Recipe
- A delicious and popular dish, Kadai Paneer is often expensive when ordered from restaurants. However, it can be easily prepared at home. Let’s learn what ingredients are required and the method to make Kadai Paneer.
Ingredients for Kadai Paneer:
This recipe serves 2-4 people.
Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) – 250 grams
Ripe tomatoes – 4
Green bell pepper – 3
Garlic cloves – 5-6 (finely chopped)
Ginger – 1 inch piece (finely chopped)
Kadai Paneer Masala – 1 teaspoon
Garam Masala – 2 teaspoons
Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric – 1/2 teaspoon
Kasuri Methi (dried fenugreek leaves) – 1 teaspoon
Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
Finely chopped coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon
Oil – 2 tablespoons
2 finely chopped green chilies
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
1 tablespoon salt
Method for Kadai Paneer:
It takes approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour to prepare Kadai Paneer. Here’s the method:
Cut the paneer into square-shaped pieces.
Cut the green bell peppers into small pieces. Boil a cup of water in a pan and add the tomatoes. Boil them for 4-5 minutes.
Remove the skin of the boiled tomatoes and chop them.
Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and roast them.
Add ginger and garlic to the pan and sauté for a minute.
Add the boiled and chopped tomatoes to the pan and cook on high heat for 2 minutes until the tomatoes soften.
Once the tomatoes are cooked, add coriander powder, red chili powder, and salt to the pan. Cook for another minute.
After sautéing, cover the pan for 1 minute. This will allow the spices to cook well and release a pleasant aroma.
Remove the lid and increase the heat. Add the chopped green bell peppers and cook for 2 minutes.
After 2 minutes, add the paneer pieces to the gravy. Stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Add Kadai Paneer Masala, garam masala, and kasuri methi to the gravy. Mix well.
Stir and cook for 2 more minutes. Then, turn off the heat and cover the pan for a few minutes.
Your Kadai Paneer is ready! Serve it with naan, tandoori roti, or any other Indian bread of your choice. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Enjoy your Kadai Paneer with your family and don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends!
Note: If you’d like recipes for any other dishes in Hindi, please let us know in the comments. We’ll be happy to provide you with the recipe in Hindi.
Palak Paneer Recipe
Palak Paneer is a popular Indian dish made with paneer (cottage cheese) and spinach. It is a nutritious and flavorful dish that can be easily prepared at home. Here is the recipe:
Ingredients for Palak Paneer:
Paneer (Cottage cheese) – 250 grams
Spinach (Palak) – 500 grams
1 finely chopped onion
2 tomatoes, pureed
2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste
2 whole dried red chilies
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 small piece of cinnamon
Salt to taste
3 tablespoons oil
Instructions to make Palak Paneer:
First, clean and wash the spinach thoroughly. In a pot, boil water and add a pinch of salt and baking soda. Add the spinach leaves to the boiling water and blanch them for 20 seconds. Immediately remove them and plunge into cold water.
Drain the water from the spinach and grind it to a smooth paste.
Cut the paneer into square-shaped pieces.
Heat oil in a pan or kadhai. Add cumin seeds, whole dried red chilies, and cinnamon. Fry them for a few seconds.
Now, add finely chopped or ground onions and ginger-garlic paste. Fry until the onions turn golden brown.
Add tomato puree, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, and salt. Cook the masala until it releases oil.
Add the spinach paste to the masala and cook for 10-15 minutes on medium heat. If needed, you can add half a cup of water and mix well.
Once the spinach is cooked, add the paneer pieces and cook for 2 minutes.
Turn off the heat and garnish with cream and crushed paneer.
Your Palak Paneer is now ready to be served. Enjoy it with naan, roti, or rice.